Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Where were you when...

     As any American knows, today is a day that forever changed our nation. 11 years ago today, our nation was attacked by terrorists. We will never understand why it happened or what was going through their minds that fateful day.

     As I prepare for my 10 year class reunion, I think back to my senior year of high school. Immediately I think about homecoming week and how our lives were changed that year.  It wasn't just because we were graduating, but because of 9/11.

      I remember walking into the school that Tuesday, filled with excitement for homecoming activities. We were building our float for the parade on Friday, decorating the school, and planning the fun for the student car parade in 2 days. I had been out running an errand for our service learning teacher, and walked back in to an eerily somber room. I can still remember sitting on top of the desk watching the replay of the first plane striking the first tower. We were glued to the television for the rest of the day. Every classroom had the TV on, we weren't expected to learn that day or even really pay attention to our teachers. We were watching history unfold before our eyes. We watched every event of that day as it happened. I remember the 2nd plane hitting the WTC. I remember watching the towers fall, watching people jump to their death.

     There we were in a week that was supposed to be one of the most fun and memorable times of our senior year, yet the halls weren't filled with excitement. The halls were silent....dead silent.

11 years later, I can still remember that day like it was yesterday. How about you? Where were you when the nation stopped moving that day?

1 comment:

  1. I also wrote a post about 11 years ago, today...Wow, can't believe it's been 11 years. I was a Sophomore in high school. Here is my story if you want to head over to my page and read!

    http://takeitlikeamommy.blogspot.com/2012/09/this-day.html

    ~Jessica

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

You may also like: